Father Ignatius' napkin ring bearing a cameo of his mother GuinevereAbergavenny Museum is committed to collecting objects of local significance and preserving them for future generations. Obviously we are not able to display everything in the collection, however members of the public are able to view items which are not on public display. We ask you to contact us in advance to arrange as we are not able to deal with these requests on demand.

The museum possesses photographs of Abergavenny and the surrounding district. These include two important municipal collections of views of the medieval and Elizabethan areas of the town which were demolished under slum clearance schemes between 1957 and 1972. These represent the only record of many of the buildings demolished.

The museums social history collections are mainly comprised of material reflecting the history and way of life of the town and surrounding district. There are particular emphases on rural life, agriculture and its associated industries and domestic and working life. Particularly significant collections include the contents of a complete Welsh kitchen c.1890, a saddler's shop c.1910-1930 and Basil Jones grocers shop c.1948-1950. The museum also houses the nationally important archive of the Father Ignatius Memorial Trust. In addition the museum maintains collections of books and documents which supplement and illustrate these themes.

The museum houses extensive and very significant collections of archaeological material ranging from the Mesolithic to post-Medieval. The collections produced by excavations of the Roman fort of Gobannium are of particular importance. The museum holds many individual items of costume. These include an 18th century open robe and full Regency female wedding outfit. The collection is particularly strong in womens costume of the late 19th century (especially lingerie) and the 1920s.